Why High-Quality Microfiber Gym Towels Are a Must-Have Janitorial Supply
You’re probably familiar with the standard white cotton towels you find at most fitness centers, but did you know microfiber gym towels can absorb even more sweat?
Keep reading to learn about the benefits of microfiber and how to choose the best gym towels for your business or home.
Considerations When Buying Cleaning Towels for Your Gym
Towels are used in gyms by a variety of people for many different purposes.
You’ve probably seen your clientele toss sweat towels around their necks to soak up moisture. Trainers might use basic white towels to remove germs when their athletes move from machine to machine during regimented workouts. And, of course, your cleaning staff probably pulls out special microfiber cleaning towels as part of their process to sanitize and clean your fitness center.
When it comes to microfiber gym towels, though, not all options are equal. As with most products, performance and function relate directly to format, absorbency, and other quality factors.
For example, while a microfiber mitt makes sense for buffing wax on a car’s hood, it’s not the best format for a towel used to clean something like dirty yoga mats.
Standard-sized microfiber towels made from synthetic fibers are best suited removing germs from equipment like treadmills and elliptical machines.
Plus, the more absorbent the towel, the more dry, safe, and germ-free your gym will be after cleaning.
Characteristics of the Best Gym Towels for Cleaning
Microfiber gym towels are made of synthetic fibers about 1/5 the diameter of human hair strands. They can have as many as 200,000 fibers per square inch, depending on their quality. The most common microfibers are made from:
- Nomex, or
- A Mixture of Polyamide, Polyester, and Polypropylene
The smooth material of microfiber towels dries up to three times faster than regular cotton. This means they can absorb up to five times its weight in water (or in a liquid cleaning solution).
More and more people are moving from cotton gym towels to microfiber gym towels because they like how light they are to carry around and how well they keep their body and fitness equipment clean and dry.
Caring for Your Microfiber Towels for the Gym
Microfiber is a unique material with specific care needed to ensure your towels last as long as possible.
Here are some expert tips for taking care of your microfiber gym towels:
- Never wash microfiber products with cotton fabrics. Cotton fibers can stick to the towels and clog the microfiber.
- Never use liquid fabric softener or dryer sheets in a load with microfiber towels as it clogs the microfiber and reduces its effectiveness.
- Don’t use chlorine bleach on microfiber.
- Use warm water (not hot) when washing your towels made of microfiber.
- Use a mild liquid detergent when washing your microfiber towels.
- Always dry your microfiber towels on low, as high heat can melt the microfiber.
- Allow your microfiber towels to dry completely before throwing them into your laundry hamper. Piling up towels that are damp with sweat can create an environment that breeds bacteria.
What Is the Best Sweat Towel for the Gym?
Choosing the best sports towel for you depends on your personal preferences and specific needs. But there are a few things to consider as you shop for a good sweat towel:
- Find a microfiber gym towel that is durable and made to last (ideally, towels should have a lifespan of up to 500 washes).
- Look for a very absorbent towel that can hold a lot of moisture. For cleaning, you need a towel that can hold enough cleaning solution to effectively sanitize a surface.
- Choose both multipurpose towels that work well for general cleaning tasks, as well as specific towels when your janitorial team has unique jobs (e.g., microfiber suede window cloths are specifically designed to make cleaning glass easier and more efficient)
- Pick a towel that feels good and isn’t too scratchy on your skin if you are cleaning without wearing gloves.
Here are some microfiber gym towels that work well for many different uses, including workouts:
- Microfiber Towels (30 gsm/pc): 12″x12″
- Microfiber Towels (35 gsm/pc): 16″x16″
- Microfiber Towels (45 gsm/pc): 16″x16″
- Microfiber Towels (49 gsm/pc): 16″x16″
- Microfiber Suede Window Cloths (Sold by the Case): 16″x16″
- Microfiber Waffle Cloths (55 gsm, 15 Dozen per Pack): 16″x16″
- Microfiber Hand Car Wash Towels (80 gsm/pc): 16″x27″
- Disposable Microfiber Flat Mops (SmartPads Box): 18″ mop frame
- Microfiber Bar Mops With Center Stripe: 15″x18″
- Microfiber Rags (Sold by the Case): 12″x12″
FAQs About Microfiber Gym Towels
What’s So Great About Microfiber Towels?
Generally speaking, towels made from microfiber are strong and absorbent. These qualities make them great for many uses. They’re also a more environmentally-friendly alternative to single-use paper towels.
Microfiber towels are excellent for commercial and home cleaning, the hospitality industry, gyms/sports centers, healthcare facilities, and more.
What About Microfiber Cooling Towels? Are They Good for Cleaning a Gym?
Most environmental managers prefer using towels that help them do their jobs better.
As such, microfiber cooling towels, which are designed to help athletes cool down after an intense workout, aren’t really a good fit for when they need to do some cleaning.
Manufacturers designed microfiber cooling towel for use by athletes. They soak them in cold water then wring them out and wrap them around their necks.
Is Microfiber Better Than Cotton for Gym Towels Used to Clean?
Many custodial professionals still prefer cotton as the primary material for the gym towels they use for cleaning. Some of the reasons they prefer 100% cotton gym towels include the fact that they’re absorbent, soft to the touch, and durable.
Still, cotton does have its detractors. Some janitorial staff prefer microfiber gym towels over cotton. That’s because microfiber is more absorbent and dries quicker than cotton.
Buy Gym Towels in Bulk and Save Money
Whether stocking up on towels for the cleaning team in charge of keeping your gym or fitness center clean, there’s no reason to pay more than you should. Buy microfiber towels in bulk from a wholesaler. That way, you’ll save on the price you pay per towel compared to buying from traditional retailers.
Get Wholesale Gym Towels from Texon
Texon Athletic Towel & Supply is a trusted wholesaler of quality cotton and microfiber gym towels. We’re family-owned and sell a large variety and inventory of towels to meet the needs of any gym, business, or home. Our towels are soft, absorbent, and durable.
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to get in touch with our towel experts at (866) 690-1802.